Product development with ICHTHYOL® PALE – what to consider
Generally, ICHTHYOL® PALE offers versatile formulation possibilities in a wide range of concentration (0.5 – 5 % recommended). However, some properties of this raw material have to be considered in order to get to the desired formulation result.
- ICHTHYOL® PALE is a sulfonate salt of a volatile, highly sulphuric shale oil fraction in watery solution. It is not an oil. The symbolized formula can be indicated by R-SO3Na (R = organic part of phytoplanktonic origin).
- As a sulfonate salt ICHTHYOL® PALE has properties of a surfactant (lipophilic (R) and hydrophilic constituent (SO3Na) in the molecule) and, therefore, is surface-active.
- Generally, hydrophilic creams are favoured compared to those with lipophilic character.
- Miscibility with oils without emulsifier in general is not possible. However, solubility of ICHTHYOL® PALE in water, glycerine or alcohol/water mixtures normally is problem-free.
- In solutions a precipitate can appear on addition of additional salts. Cations of higher valency as well as salting out have to be avoided.
- ICHTHYOL® PALE is stable in a wide range of pH. Only strong acids cause precipitations.
- ICHTHYOL® PALE has anti-microbial properties. Application of preservatives has to be tested.
- In well-closed, well-filled containers ICHTHYOL® PALE has a shelf-life of at least 48 months when stored according to requirements.
In hair care ICHTHYOL® PALE is established in rinse-off as well as leave-on applications as e.g. shampoos, conditioners or hair lotions. For skin care clarifying creams, cleansing milks or alcoholic-watery solutions are suggested.
|Examples of formulations with ICHTHYOL® PALE|
|Base (INCI)||ICHTHYOL® PALE||Product|
|Aqua Sodium Laureth Sulfate||
Cocamidopropyl Betaine (Sodium Sweetalmondamphoacetate) | |
Sodium Chloride | |
Parfum | |
Sodium Phospate | 1.00 % | Shampoo
Aqua | |
Petrolatum | |
Propylene Glycol | |
Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride | |
PEG-20 Glyceryl Stearate | |
Cetyl Alcohol | |
CI 77891 | |
Glyceryl Stearate | 1.00 % | Creme